Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Munch, Munch

Apparently at some time in its past the Purple House had so many termites dining on it that it's a wonder nobody actually heard them gobbling away. Or maybe they did. Fortunately for us, we haven't found any active colonies. Unfortunately, every time we turn around, we find more old damage.

When we bought the house we knew one sill had some termite damage. We didn't know it how extensive, until we pulled the floor above it up. We've found a few other sills that also had extensive damage and the whole back of the house seems to have had a major infestation. The good news is that because we found termite damage to the old sheathing when we were taking off the siding on the back of the house, we're going to be able to insulate the kitchen from the outside without ripping down the plaster on the inside. Not the ideal method, but now the whole back of the house will be insulated, sheathed and Tyveked.

I think I'll be spending next winter in the kitchen, laundry room or master bathroom. I guess that means life won't really be changing much.

2 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Hi Jordana! Wow, I didn't know you bought a new old house!Congratulations! It's beautiful from what I've seen. I love the character...just charming! Thank you for your encouraging words on my site. I'm really hating this whole remodeling process today. Lol, tomorrow I may love it again...who knows! Have fun with yours and I'll try to do the same. Slowly but surely!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Big purple houses are wonderful!!! There was one in my neighborhood but they painted it. You have a wonderful house. I hope your life is well.