Thursday, March 29, 2007

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


Fence Post
Originally uploaded by JordanaA.
Last weekend, we started building our fence.

At our current house, we have a fully fenced in yard, which has been wonderful with our children and dog. The Purple House came with a mostly knocked over and broken chainlink fence on two sides. It wasn't salvageable.

Although, I could probably keep the children from wandering away without a fence, the dog is not so bright. I don't want to have to walk him every time he wants to go out, so we need a fence.

The only kind of fence we could afford to pay someone else to build was chainlink, so we're building it ourselves. (Don't you love my use of the word "we" as if I had a larger part in the fence building than holding the posts and helping get them level?)

After calling around to Lowes, Home Depot and an actual lumber yard, Home Depot's prices were the best. During the phone call, they said they could deliver on Saturday if we made our order by 2 o'clock on Friday, but when I went to the store, they said it would be Tuesday before they brought the wood. I protested and sitting there holding a baby and with 3 other children swarming around me, they must have felt pity for my pathetic state, because they promised to squeeze us in.

We paid someone to dig the post holes, so we were able to start setting the posts in right away. It takes a long time to get them in and leveled though. We've managed about 4 every 1.5 hours. We have one post left on the back of the property and 24 on the side yard.

Then, of course, we'll also have to put a fence across the yard to close it all in. At this rate, maybe we'll have a fully fenced backyard by the end of summer.

4 comments:

Nadja and Sean said...

Hi Jordana!
I just flipped through your Flickr file, and I LOVE your paint colors. There is an orange color that is exactly what I am looking for in one of our bedrooms. Can you tell me the color and paint brand?
Thank you SOOO much!

Jordana said...

The orange was from the previous owner, but she left a lot of the paint behind, so perhaps I can find the can and see what it says.

Sarah said...

My husband and I built a picket fence for our first house. It came out rather well and was just a fraction of the cost of hiring someone. We even dug the hole for the posts using a rented post hole digger.

Kim said...

Jordana, do you mix the concrete and then pour it in the holes? We found that you can pour the concrete mix in the hole and then add the water. It's a bit of a time saver. Good luck on the fence!